In response to the recent pandemic we are experiencing, I watched a webinar this morning with Dr. Shanti Shanti Kaur that shared some guidance on strengthening our immunity with specific information about viruses and how to strengthen the immune response in the face of current times. She has wisdom from her work as an early pioneer in HIV healthcare and through teaching Kundalini Yoga and Meditation to people with chronic or life threatening illness and their families. I want to share a recap of what she advised.
For a strong and healthy immune system we want to develop Vagal Tone. Vagal Tone is our stress resilience. It’s our ability to be calm with vitality. Developing a strong vagal tone influences our auric field and arc line which work to deflect micro organisms. In the face of the current pandemic, Vagal Tone is of utmost importance.
What is Vagal Tone?
- It is a complicated network of nerves connecting the brain to the heart, gut, and visceral organs. Collectively it is called the vagus nerve. More on the vagus nerve here.
- Origin of our parasympathetic nervous system. More on the parasympathetic nervous system here.
- The Vegas Nerve’s activation or deactivation is tied to the ebb or flow of hormones / endocrine system
- Essential to self regulation following stress reactivity
What can do to build your Vagal Tone and to keep yourself healthy and resilient? Rhythmic Strength.
Support yourself with a consistent healthy daily routine. Even if you just implement one conscious change in your life that you may not be following it will help you. She calls it Pulse, Pause, and Play.
- Pulse: Sleep/Wake Up, Meal Time/Elimination, Exercise/Movement
- Pause: Regular Rest, The ability to relax deeply. Here Dr. Kaur emphases the need for regular relaxation between actions. Take conscious moments where you take a long deep breath when moving from one action to another. If you are doing a home yoga practice, it’s important to ensure you include savasana. Savasana is essential for integration of the changes in the blood chemistry and immune response.
- Play: Allow yourself a playful state of mind. It’s important to be silly and playful. Do something that brings the joy of playfulness.
- Pranayama Breath: Breathing exercises that works with the tongue. The tongue is a detoxifying organ, so breath the specifically works with the tongue is good to do. These include Sitali, Dog or Lions Breath.
- Mantra: Chanting mantra or singing. Chanting, singing or humming is like initiating a vagal pump that sends out relaxing waves. It works muscles in the back of the throat that activates the vagus nerve.
- Healthy Diet & Good Nutrition: This goes without saying. Dr. Kaur recommended cardamom specifically, so fill yourself up on some Yogi Tea. Recipe is found here. Another thing, that I do at home, is to take fire cider. We make our own. There are lots of recipes online to make your own.
- Cold Water Hydrotherapy: Take a cold shower. I know, you may be thinking, OMG! I can’t do that. You can do it! Before I started, I was adamant that I couldn’t and now I take a cold shower regularly. You can read about the benefits here.
- Mutual Supportive Relationships: In a time where we are starting to see social distancing being mandated, do your best to maintain feeling supported and held by your community through all your available channels.
- Gratitude: Remain thankful, no matter what you may be experiencing. Your gratitude will propel you. If for any reason life throws something at you that moves you out of this state, simply get into child’s pose and stay there for 1 – 3min. Bringing our head below our heart is a sure way to stimulate gratitude within the body.
- Sat Kriya: Sat Kriya is the perfect kriya for vagal tone. It works to pump the naval and aligns us with the center line of the body
- 7th Wave Sat Nam: Works to penetrate each chakra as you send the sound of the mantra up through the body channels.
- Lions Paw Kriya: Resets your electromagnetic field
- Ego Eradicator: Opens the lungs and consolidates your magnetic field. This is highly beneficial for your arc line and aura.
- Divine Shield Meditation for Protection & Positivity